CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 22, 2008

Traditions



I LOVE September!! It is just about the last month before we are in for the LONG winter. It is nice weather and I like it better than spring, because there is no wind. I love living up here for many reasons, but one is for the change of seasons. I think winter lasts way too long, but when it first gets here I am exited. I was thinking about some traditions we have, that I look forward to. Especially, with the holidays coming upon us so soon. I have been thinking about family traditions in General. I was looking on the internet and found this:


Meaningful family traditions provide parents with an invaluable tool for carrying out their divine responsibility to rear children in love and righteousness. As families establish and follow traditions, each family member is strengthened and the family as a whole can grow in unity and love.


The Family: A Proclamation to the World states that wholesome family recreation is important in building successful families. By creating traditions that bring the family closer to God, parents can strengthen the bond between family members, fortify commitment to religion, and teach important principles they want their children to understand and live by.

I think it would be fun to find out what others family traditions are. If you would PLEASE, even if you don't usually comment- Please leave a comment of some of your family traditions. Perhaps, together, we can all get new ideas to incorporate into our own families and help eachother attain the items listed above and create memories to last a life time. I will then post a list of them- along with some of ours. Thanks in advance!!

6 comments:

ann said...

I think a lot of people do this but on Christmas eve we read the christmas story and then the "Christmas elf" drops of new pjs for the kids. Chessy but so fun!

Merrill Family said...

Halloween is a crazy tooth rotten holiday! So I let the kids pick out a snack size bag of their favorite candies and then they leave the rest by the fire place for the "candy witch" to take away after they go to sleep. (we both win, she leaves a toy when she takes the candy, and I of course have no more candy in my house!) We also make Haunted Houses (like christmas ginger bread houses) the kids love decorating them!!!

Wyatts said...

I guess I'm still trying to make traditions for our own little family. We celebrate with Vinnie's or my family still. So with my family it is a tradition to have Navajo Tacos on Chritmas eve and we usually have some sort of program and we open the gift of the person that drew our name in the family. That's all I can think of for now...I am looking forward to your list though.

Brady & Jessica said...

We (or I rather) take DP up to Sunrise every fall. We get to ride the lift and see the changing trees and Daisy "earns" a free season pass. They have other cool things like rock climbing, cotton candy, etc. Then we head off to the ranch to meet up with Dad and The Boys. Last year we changed it up and invited our good friends The Smarts. It was great except for being ditched by Brady & Josh. Are you up for it again this year?

Turleygirl said...

We give our kids a new ornament every year. They have their own box which they store them in. We also write their name & the year somewhere on the ornament. The ornaments that they make at school every year also go in the box. They get to hang their own ornaments on the tree each year. Someday when they have their own home they can take the ornaments & the memories that go with them to put on their own tree. It is fun to hear them talk as they hang them. They will say things like, "I remember when I got this" or "I made this in kindergarten". It's pretty fun & it's never to late to start. I always buy the ornaments for the next year after Christmas & it works out really well.

Misty Smart said...

Jessica- we are definately up for it. I just assume Josh and BP won't be attending, because that is how they roll. So plan on it, if you pregnant self can get around and aren't on bed rest by then!!!